Hi! I’m Finola and in the summer of 2011 I turned 30 and quit a mostly lovely life in favour of some adventures and the unknown.
Things had been pretty secure and steady; I had great friends, supportive colleagues, good students. I lived in a lovely part of the UK, and I had a teaching job that paid a decent salary and that I loved more than I hated. The fact I had a job, in this current climate, should have kept me sweet but for some reason I was unsettled.
So yep, I packed it all in and packed myself up to travel for as long as feels right. I will have to work along the way, and I hope to do some volunteering, HelpXing and CouchSurfing and WWOOFing too. I’m keen to visit families, communities and alternative set-ups and see how different people live their lives. I’m interested in physical, emotional and intellectual adventures, and intrigued by social, environmental and sustainable ventures. I want to push myself out of my comfort zone. I want to feel alive. And I want to find the creative space to write.
I’m not sure travelling will have the answers I’m looking for, but being settled with a job and house didn’t offer that either, so there’s only one way to find out. My last paycheck has long been and gone, and it’s a bit scary. I’m travelling solo, and that’s a new challenge too.
My hopes and goals for my travels include:
- WRITE! Regularly update my blog and publish various articles
- Hear, taste, touch, see, feel , experience and learn from different cultures
- Learn Spanish well enough to hold a conversation
- Open my mind, be calm, stay healthy, smile, dance, laugh, talk, let go
About the blog
Why keep a blog? For a few reasons, including:
- To write. I love to write and a blog provides the perfect platform to practise and improve that skill (please give me feedback!)
- To share my experiences with other travellers and potential travellers (and hopefully gain some feedback, ideas and comments in return)
- To network with other writers and publications
- To keep family and friends updated as to my whereabouts
Travelola logo by Rob Adderley @ robadderley.com